Interview Location: London
Work Location: Saudi Arabia
Senior Fire Protection Engineer to oversee the design and implementation of fire protection system, providing expert technical support to other engineers and architects and contractors. Shall handle all aspects of the design process, which can include analyzing the building, performing design calculations, preparing engineering drawings from concept to detailed design including scope of work, technical specification and choosing the appropriate fire protection system and equipment for installation. Fire protection engineer is likewise tasked with overseeing personnel assigned to the project, and providing training and mentoring to junior engineering staff.
He would also be responsible for performing quality assurance reviews for fire protection and alarm design packages, conduct analysis, troubleshooting, develop technical report and providing solution to projects for on-site execution. Certify inhouse design packages for fire protection and fire alarm.
- Perform the function of Fire Protection and Suppression design including production of construction documents related to CS project for commercial, institutional, residential and office facilities in accordance with NFPA, IRC, IBC and applicable building codes and standards.
- Design fire hydrants and fire sprinkler systems including equipment, piping, pumps and associated systems related to developing and testing specifications and methods.
- Assess projects’ requirements, identify design requirement, conduct site visits, and prepare necessary design calculations using hand calculations and computer to run standard programs (such as Elite Software).
- Determine all required design elements necessary for code compliance. Identify standard details and develop new details as required.
- Prepare design packages for fire suppression systems including preparation of design drawings, scopes of work and technical specifications for piping, Fire pumps, sprinkler systems, subsystems with all associated fixtures and fittings, pipe-work systems for water as well as Diesel fuel driven Fire Pumps. Experience in HVAC and fire Alarm system and design is a plus.
- Resolve Fire protection engineering issues by applying accepted principles, codes and standards.
- Conduct studies, technical assessments and develop technical reports.
- Prepare and review 30, 60, 90, and 100 % issue for construction (IFC) Design packages.
- Provides expert advice, technical solutions, and assistance during design, engineering and construction phases.
- Provide expert advice and assistance to design, construction, and maintenance engineers and operating personnel on all matters pertaining to the mechanical field.
- Write technical reports and provide solution to complex technical problems.
- Determine all required design elements necessary for code compliance. Coordinate development of work scopes and detailed technical specifications.
- Lay out plans and detailed drawings for development by draftsmen. Identify standard details and develop new details as required.
- Prepare cost estimates and material take-offs for the work as applicable and coordinate with Cost Engineers on the development of capital project estimates.
- Support project on-site execution, project proposals and initiate detailed work outlines. Make decisions to support projects and act as technical consultant when required.
- Review and evaluate Construction Variation Orders to ensure full compliance with Standards and recommend cost effective solutions whenever applicable.
- Participate in e-review of projects at different design stages. Coordinate with other organizations to track and close design review comments.
- Prepare material take-offs for the work as applicable and coordinate with Cost Engineers on the development of capital project estimates.
- Manage the design and engineering development of complex projects from the date of assignment until project completion.
- Provide mentorship and training to young engineers to acquire design skills and knowledge.
- Candidate must possess BS Degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Fire Protection Engineering as minimum with emphasis in design for Fire safety, PE certification, CEng certification. Master degree in Mechanical, Electrical or Fire Protection Engineering is preferred.
- Shall be a Registered / Licensed professional fire protection engineer recognized by NFPA.
- Minimum of fifteen to twenty (15 to 20) years of experience from date of graduation with ten (10) years senior experience in design related to Fire Protection and Suppression systems.
- Must be fluent in both written and spoken English.
- Must have thorough knowledge of engineering practices, Hydraulic calculation, design details, using NFPA and IBC, Design Codes and Standards.
- Extensive experience using US Design Codes (NFPA-13, NFPA- 20) Certified Fire Protection Specialist credential is preferred.
- Well versed with National Fire Protection Association and other U.S. codes.
- AutoCAD or Micro station experience.
- BIM experience is a plus.
- Professional attitude, pleasant personality, and dedication to work are desirable.